Apple enthusiasts and iPhone users, mark your calendars because iOS 17 is arriving on Monday, September 18, 2023. While Apple’s latest iPhones for 2023 have already made their debut, iOS 17 promises to bring a slew of exciting features and enhancements to all iPhones from the iPhone XR and up.
Table of Contents
iOS 17 Release Date and What to Expect
At the WWDC keynote on June 5, 2023, Apple unveiled the impressive lineup of new features coming with iOS 17. Among these are the Journal app, Live Voicemail, an enhanced Sticker experience, and a multitude of smaller tweaks and improvements.
This free software update is set to give your iPhone a fresh lease on life, making it feel like a new device without costing you a dime. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about iOS 17, including the release dates, how to get the beta versions, which iPhone models are compatible, and the exciting features coming with the new operating system.
Release Dates and Beta Versions
iOS 17 was announced and showcased at WWDC 2023 and is scheduled for a public release on September 18, 2023. Apple typically maintains a consistent release schedule for iOS updates, as indicated below:
- iOS 17: Monday, September 18, 2023
- iOS 16: Monday, September 12, 2022
- iOS 15: Monday, September 20, 2021
- iOS 14: Wednesday, September 16, 2020
- iOS 13: Thursday, September 19, 2019
- iOS 12: Monday, September 17, 2018
Before the official launch, Apple typically releases a series of beta versions of iOS 17 for testing purposes. The first developer beta was made available on the first day of WWDC 2023. The latest beta version is known as the release candidate, which is expected to be virtually identical to the version that will be publicly released on September 18.
iOS 17 Beta: Public vs. Developer Beta
In the past, access to Apple’s developer betas required membership in the Apple Developer Program, which came at a cost of $99 per year. However, in 2023, Apple expanded access to developer betas to include users with free developer accounts. This change made it easier for more users to access developer betas without the need for a paid membership.
Despite this, it’s essential to note that developer betas are generally less stable than public betas. Therefore, our recommendation is to opt for the public beta, which became available on July 12, 2023. This version is more stable and suitable for most users.
However, even the public beta can have its share of issues. Features may be added, removed, or not work correctly. User interface elements can change, and third-party app compatibility is not guaranteed. For these reasons, it’s advisable not to install a beta version on your primary iPhone. If you have a spare device, it’s ideal for testing out the new features. If you’re running an iOS 17 beta and wish to revert to iOS 16, we’ve got you covered with instructions on how to do so.
How to Install iOS 17 Beta and Full Version
Installing the final release of iOS 17 is straightforward. Once it’s officially available, open the Settings app on your iPhone, navigate to General > Software Update, and follow the on-screen instructions to install the update. If you’ve enabled Automatic Updates, the process becomes even more seamless.
For those who want to explore beta versions leading up to the official release, both developer and public betas are options. Developer betas are typically released first and require users to be registered Apple software developers, with both free and paid ($99/£79) versions available. Since June 2023, Apple has made developer betas accessible to all registered developers, making it easier for more users to access these early beta releases. If you wish to install a developer beta, you can follow these steps:
- Download the Apple Developer App from the App Store.
- Open the app and click on “Account.”
- Tap “Sign In” and sign in using your Apple ID.
- Once logged in, you should see the beta in General > Software Update > Beta Updates. Ensure your device is running iOS 16.5 or later for this to work.
For most users, the public beta is the better choice. It is released later than developer betas, is free, and offers a more stable experience. You can join the public beta program with an Apple ID on any device.
iOS 17 Compatibility: Which iPhones Will Support iOS 17?
iOS 17 will not be compatible with the iPhone 8 or iPhone X. While these devices can run iOS 16, they will receive security updates for at least another year. The following iPhone models will be able to run iOS 17, although not all of them may support every new feature:
- iPhone 14
- iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone SE (2nd generation or later)
Please keep in mind that older iPhones may not receive the full range of new features. For example, in the past, devices with older processors missed out on certain features.
iOS 17: Exciting New Features
iOS 17 packs a plethora of new features and enhancements to improve your iPhone experience. While many features were announced during the WWDC keynote, some may not be available immediately. Apple has confirmed that at least five features, including AirDrop over the Internet, the Journal app, Collaborative Apple Music playlists, AirPlay in hotel rooms, and NameDrop to Apple Watch, will be added “later this year” through subsequent software updates.
Here’s a glimpse of some of the exciting new features coming to iOS 17:
- Journal: A brand-new app that enhances your photo memories, allowing you to relive special moments by adding text, location, and photos to your experiences. Developers can also utilize the Suggestions API for their apps.
- StandBy: Borrowing a page from the Apple Watch, StandBy transforms your iPhone into a nightstand clock with various clock styles, photo slideshows, widgets, and live activity displays.
- Contact Posters: Customize your appearance for calls and your contact card, complete with personalized posters that can be enriched with images, fonts, and colors. This feature integrates with Call Kit and can be used in third-party VOIP apps.
- Live Voicemail: When someone leaves you a voicemail, you’ll see a live transcript as they speak, giving you a preview of the message content.
- Phone Calls: The Phone app receives updates, including redesigned buttons and icons.
- FaceTime: You can now leave video messages in FaceTime when recipients don’t answer your call. Additionally, FaceTime calls can be answered on
Your Queries Answered:
Q: What is iOS 17?
A: iOS 17 is the upcoming release of Apple’s iOS operating system for the iPhone and the successor to iOS 16. It was announced on June 5, 2023, at Apple’s annual Worldwide Developers Conference, and is expected to be released in September 2023.
Q: What are some of the new features in iOS 17?
A: Some of the new features in iOS 17 include:
- A new lock screen with more customization options
- A new always-on display for supported iPhone models
- A new Focus mode that allows you to filter out notifications and distractions
- A new Live Text feature that allows you to interact with text in images and videos
- A new iCloud Shared Photo Library that allows you to share photos with friends and family more easily
Q: What devices will support iOS 17?
A: iOS 17 is expected to support all iPhone models from the iPhone 8 and later.
Q: When will iOS 17 be released?
A: iOS 17 is expected to be released in September 2023, alongside the new iPhone models.
Q: How can I get the iOS 17 beta?
A: You can get the iOS 17 beta by enrolling in the Apple Beta Software Program.
Q: What are some of the benefits of using the iOS 17 beta?
A: Some of the benefits of using the iOS 17 beta include:
- Getting early access to new features and bug fixes
- Helping Apple to improve iOS 17 before it is released to the public
Q: What are some of the risks of using the iOS 17 beta?
A: Some of the risks of using the iOS 17 beta include:
- The beta software may be buggy and unstable
- Some features may not work as expected
- You may lose data if you have to restore your iPhone
Q: Should I install the iOS 17 beta?
A: Whether or not you should install the iOS 17 beta depends on your individual needs and preferences. If you are comfortable with using beta software and you want to get early access to new features, then installing the iOS 17 beta may be a good option for you. However, if you need your iPhone to be reliable and stable, then it is best to wait for the final release of iOS 17.
Q: What are some of the most anticipated new features in iOS 17?
A: Some of the most anticipated new features in iOS 17 include:
- The new lock screen with more customization options
- The new always-on display for supported iPhone models
- The new Focus mode allows you to filter out notifications and distractions
Q: What are some of the ways that iOS 17 is expected to improve the user experience?
A: iOS 17 is expected to improve the user experience in a number of ways, including:
- Making it easier to customize the lock screen
- Providing more granular control over notifications
- Making it easier to focus on work or tasks without distractions
- Making it easier to share photos with friends and family
Q: How will iOS 17 impact developers?
A: iOS 17 will introduce a number of new APIs and features that developers can use to create more innovative and engaging apps. For example, the new Live Text feature will allow developers to create apps that can interact with text in images and videos.
Q: What are some of the things that I should do to prepare for iOS 17?
A: There are a few things that you can do to prepare for iOS 17, including:
- Back up your iPhone
- Make sure that you have enough storage space on your iPhone
- Update your apps to the latest versions
Q: Where can I learn more about iOS 17?
A: You can learn more about iOS 17 on the Apple website and on the Apple Developer website.
Q: What are some of the best resources for learning about iOS 17?
A: Some of the best resources for learning about iOS 17 include:
- The Apple website
- The Apple Developer website
- The WWDC 2023 videos