Kuwaiti passport holders can travel visa-free to 50 countries around the world, according to a report in Arabic daily Al Rai. The report said Kuwait’s foreign minister, Sheikh Salem Al Sabah, clarified details following a question from MP Osama Al Zaid.
The visa-free countries include:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Cayman Islands
- Cook Islands
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- San Marino
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
- Trinidad and Tobago
The report also said that Kuwaiti passport holders can travel to Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Oman using only their national ID cards, without the need for a passport.
The Kuwaiti passport ranks 99th in the world as of October 2023 according to the Visa Guide Passport Index. This means that Kuwaiti citizens can travel visa-free to 50 countries in the world. However, to enter the remaining countries, Kuwaiti passport holders must apply for a visa beforehand.
The Kuwaiti government has been working to improve the mobility of its citizens by negotiating visa-free agreements with other countries. In recent years, Kuwait has signed visa-free agreements with a number of countries, including Russia, China, and India.
The ability to travel visa-free is a major benefit for Kuwaiti citizens. It allows them to travel more easily and freely, and it can also save them money on visa fees.
The application for a visa goes as follows:
- Make an appointment at the visa center in Kuwait. You must contact a local visa application center in your home country and make an appointment to submit your application. It may take several months to schedule a meeting with the embassy or consulate.
- Get your documents ready. To submit a successful application, you have to prepare the required documents for your visa, i.e., passport, application form, health insurance, etc. Some of your documents must be verified with an apostille stamp or certified by a foreign office.
- Submit your application. Finally, you can submit your application and attend the visa interview—you may also be required to submit your biometrics. Once you translate your documents as required by the embassy or consulate and verify them with an apostille stamp— if possible, then you can submit your application. From then it will take several weeks until a decision is made regarding your visa application.
Please note that if you have a valid visa that allows you to enter more than one country, you don’t have to apply for a new visa.
What Documents Do Kuwaiti Citizens Need to Apply for a Visa?
Kuwaiti citizens who want to visit countries that require them to apply for a visa beforehand need to submit a few documents. Depending on the country you want to visit, document requirements may vary. However, most countries will certainly require the following:
- Your valid Kuwaiti passport (plus a photocopy). Some countries require the passport to be valid for more than six months after the day you plan on departing their country.
- A filled visa application form.
- Passport pictures that are not older than six months.
- Travel health insurance that covers your entire period of stay.
- Proof of paid visa fee.
- Detailed travel itinerary that shows all the places you want to visit.
- Letter of invitation (if applicable)
- Proof of booked return ticket for the flight home.
- Proof of booked accommodation.
- Proof that you have sufficient funds to cover your visit
- Civil status documents (marriage papers, certificates of birth, etc.)