The 2023 FIDE World Cup final between Magnus Carlsen and R. Praggnanandhaa will go to tiebreakers after the two players drew their two classical games in Baku, Azerbaijan.
Carlsen, the world number one, is the defending champion and is seeking to win his third World Cup title. Praggnanandhaa, an 18-year-old Indian grandmaster, is making his debut in the World Cup final.
The first classical game was a tense affair, with both players fighting for an advantage. However, the game eventually ended in a draw after 42 moves.
The second classical game was more open, with both players taking risks. However, Carlsen was able to hold Praggnanandhaa to a draw after 39 moves.
The tiebreakers will consist of four rapid games, followed by two blitz games if necessary. The first player to win two games will be declared the winner.
Carlsen is the clear favorite in the tiebreakers, but Praggnanandhaa is a young and talented player who is capable of causing an upset. The tiebreakers are sure to be an exciting affair, and it will be interesting to see who comes out on top.
The tiebreakers will be played on Thursday, August 25. The winner will qualify for the Candidates Tournament, which will be held in June 2024 to determine the challenger for the world chess championship.
Table of Contents
Achievements of Praggnanandhaa
- He is the second youngest grandmaster in history, after Abhimanyu Mishra.
- He won the World Youth Chess Championship Under-8 title in 2013, earning him the title of FIDE Master.
- He won the under-10 title in 2015.
- In 2016, Praggnanandhaa became the youngest international master in history, at the age of 10 years, 10 months, and 19 days.
- He achieved his first grandmaster norm at the World Junior Chess Championship in November 2017, finishing fourth with 8 points. He gained his second norm at the Heraklion Fischer Memorial GM norm tournament in Greece on 17 April 2018.
- In 2019, Praggnanandhaa won the Xtracon Chess Open in Denmark, scoring 8½/10 points (+7-0=3).
- He also became the first Indian to win the Tata Steel Chess India Rapid tournament in 2022.
- In 2023, Praggnanandhaa became the second Indian after Viswanathan Anand to reach the Chess World Cup final. He lost to Magnus Carlsen in the final, but he still qualified for the Candidates Tournament in 2024.
Praggnanandhaa is a rising star in the world of chess. He is a very talented player with a bright future ahead of him. He is already one of the best players in India, and he is sure to achieve even greater things in the years to come.
Here are some of his notable victories:
- He defeated Magnus Carlsen in the Airthings Masters rapid chess tournament in 2022, becoming the youngest player ever to beat Carlsen in a classical or rapid game.
- He defeated Fabiano Caruana in the FIDE World Cup 2023 semi-finals, becoming the youngest player ever to reach the World Cup final.
Praggnanandhaa is a true prodigy, and he is an inspiration to young chess players all over the world. He is a role model for what is possible if you set your mind to it and work hard.
FAQ About Praggnanandhaa
When was Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa born?
Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa was born on August 10, 2005, in Chennai, India.
How old is Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa?
Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa is 17 years old as of August 2023.
What is Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa’s chess rating?
Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa’s current chess rating is 2658, which makes him the 16th highest-rated chess player in the world.
What are Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa’s achievements?
Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa is a very accomplished chess player. He is the second youngest grandmaster in history, after Abhimanyu Mishra. He has won many international chess tournaments, including the World Youth Chess Championship Under-8 title in 2013, the under-10 title in 2015, and the under-12 title in 2016. He also defeated Magnus Carlsen in the Airthings Masters rapid chess tournament in 2022, becoming the youngest player ever to beat Carlsen in a classical or rapid game.
Has Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa ever beaten Magnus Carlsen?
Yes, Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa has beaten Magnus Carlsen twice. He defeated Carlsen in the Airthings Masters rapid chess tournament in 2022, and he also defeated Carlsen in the FIDE World Cup 2023.
What is Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa’s style of play?
Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa is known for his aggressive and attacking style of play. He is also a very good endgame player.
What are Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa’s goals for the future?
Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa has said that he wants to become the world chess champion. He is also hoping to win the Candidates Tournament in 2024.
Achievements of Magnus Carlsen:
- Five-time World Chess Champion (2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2021)
- Four-time World Rapid Chess Champion (2014, 2016, 2018, and 2022)
- Six-time World Blitz Chess Champion (2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2022)
- Highest-rated chess player in history, with a peak rating of 2882
- The longest unbeaten streak at the elite level in classical chess, at 125 games
- Winner of the Chess Oscar five times (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013)
- Named “Sportsman of the Year” in Norway in 2009
- Named one of the 100 most influential people in the world by Time magazine in 2013
Carlsen is considered by many to be the greatest chess player of all time. He has dominated the chess world for over a decade, and his achievements are truly remarkable. He is a true prodigy, and his playing style is both elegant and aggressive. He is a joy to watch, and he has inspired a new generation of chess players.
In addition to his chess achievements, Carlsen is also a successful businessman and philanthropist. He has his own chess company, Play Magnus, and he is also involved in a number of charitable organizations. He is a role model for young people, and he is using his platform to promote chess and education.
Carlsen is a true legend of the game of chess. He is an inspiration to us all, and he will continue to be a force to be reckoned with for many years to come.
FAQ About Magnus Carlsen
What is Magnus Carlsen’s chess rating?
Magnus Carlsen’s peak chess rating is 2882, which is the highest ever recorded. He has been the world’s number-one chess player since 2013.
How many times has Magnus Carlsen won the world chess championship?
Magnus Carlsen has won the world chess championship five times, in 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2021. He is the current world chess champion.
How old is Magnus Carlsen?
Magnus Carlsen is 32 years old. He was born on November 30, 1990.
Who is Magnus Carlsen’s wife?
Magnus Carlsen is married to Elisabet Lorentzen Djuphammar. They got married in 2020.
What is Magnus Carlsen’s net worth?
Magnus Carlsen’s net worth is estimated to be around $100 million. He has earned a significant amount of money from chess tournaments and endorsements.
What is Magnus Carlsen’s style of play?
Magnus Carlsen is known for his aggressive and attacking style of play. He is also a very good endgame player.
What are Magnus Carlsen’s most famous games?
Some of Magnus Carlsen’s most famous games include his win against Viswanathan Anand in the 2013 World Championship match, his win against Fabiano Caruana in the 2018 World Championship match, and his win against Vishy Anand in the 2014 Candidates Tournament.
What are Magnus Carlsen’s quotes?
Some of Magnus Carlsen’s most famous quotes include:
- “I don’t think there’s any limit to what I can achieve.”
- “I’m always looking for ways to improve.”
- “I love the challenge of chess.”
- “Chess is a game of logic, but it’s also a game of creativity.”
- “The most important thing is to enjoy the game.”
Where can I learn more about Magnus Carlsen?
There are many resources available to learn more about Magnus Carlsen. You can read his books, watch his games, or follow him on social media.