Saudi Arabia has announced a new dress code for women performing the Umrah pilgrimage. The Ministry of Hajj and Umrah outlined the suitable clothing for female pilgrims visiting holy sites.
According to the ministry, women are free to wear any clothing they like, as long as it meets the following criteria:
- The clothing should be loose-fitting and comfortable.
- It should not have any decorative elements, such as sequins, beads, or embroidery.
- It should cover the entire body, except for the face and hands.
The ministry said that the new dress code is more flexible than the previous requirement for women to wear a black abaya and niqab. The new dress code will allow women to perform the Umrah pilgrimage in comfort and without feeling restricted.
The announcement of the new dress code has been met with mixed reactions. Some women have welcomed the move, saying that it is a sign of progress and modernization. Others have expressed concerns that the new dress code is still too restrictive and that it will not allow women to perform the Umrah pilgrimage in a way that is comfortable and respectful to their own religious beliefs.
The Saudi government has defended the new dress code, saying that it is necessary to ensure that all pilgrims are dressed in a respectful and modest manner. The government also said that the new dress code is in line with Islamic teachings on modesty.
The Umrah pilgrimage is a minor pilgrimage to Mecca and Medina that can be performed at any time of the year. It is a less demanding pilgrimage than the Hajj, but it is still a sacred journey that is undertaken by millions of Muslims each year.
The Saudi government’s announcement of a new dress code for women performing the Umrah pilgrimage is a significant development. It remains to be seen how the new dress code will be implemented and enforced, and how it will be received by female pilgrims from around the world.
Your Queries Answered:
Q1: What is Umrah? A: Umrah is a minor pilgrimage to Mecca and Medina that can be performed at any time of the year. It is a less demanding pilgrimage than the Hajj, but it is still a sacred journey that is undertaken by millions of Muslims each year.
Q2: What are the requirements for performing Umrah? A: To perform Umrah, a Muslim must be in a state of ihram, which means that they must be wearing the prescribed garments and abstaining from certain activities. Muslims must also be in a state of good health and be able to afford the journey.
Q3: What are the steps involved in performing Umrah? A: The steps involved in performing Umrah are as follows:
- Enter into a state of Ihram.
- Perform tawaf, which is circling the Kaaba seven times.
- Perform sa’i, which is walking seven times between the hills of Safa and Marwah.
- Get your hair cut or shaved.
- Exit from the state of Ihram.
Q4: What are the benefits of performing Umrah? A: Umrah is a very rewarding act of worship. It is a way to cleanse oneself of sins and to earn the pleasure of Allah. Umrah can also be a very spiritual experience, as it allows Muslims to connect with their faith and with other Muslims from all over the world.
Q5: What are some tips for performing Umrah? A: Here are some tips for performing Umrah:
- Plan your trip in advance. This will help you to avoid any problems and to ensure that you have a smooth and enjoyable pilgrimage.
- Be prepared for the heat. Mecca and Medina can be very hot, so it is important to stay hydrated and to wear protective clothing.
- Be patient and respectful. Umrah is a very crowded and busy event, so it is important to be patient and respectful of other pilgrims.
- Make the most of your experience. Umrah is a very special opportunity, so make the most of your time in Mecca and Medina by focusing on your worship and by connecting with your faith.
Q6: What should I wear for Umrah? A: Men must wear two white pieces of cloth, one wrapped around the waist and the other draped over the shoulder. Women must wear a loose-fitting garment that covers the entire body, except for the face and hands.
Q7: What should I avoid doing while in a state of ihram? A: While in a state of ihram, Muslims must avoid the following activities:
- Cutting their hair or nails
- Wearing perfumes or colognes
- Having sexual relations
Q8: How long does Umrah usually take? A: Umrah can be completed in a few hours, but most pilgrims stay in Mecca and Medina for several days to perform additional acts of worship and to visit the holy sites.
Q9: How much does Umrah cost? A: The cost of Umrah can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the time of year, the length of the trip, and the type of accommodation and transportation that is chosen. However, it is possible to perform Umrah on a budget.
Q10: What should I do if I have more questions about Umrah? A: If you have more questions about Umrah, you can speak to a trusted Muslim scholar or contact the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah in Saudi Arabia.